Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My First Blog!

So to keep Mike from being the complete overachiever (still love you Mike!) I thought I would write a bog about my lovely internship! Back in the cbus, I was very spoiled at my internship; I worked very closely and became good friends with the senior prosecuting attorney for the domestic violence unit in the City Attorney's office as well as domestic violence advocates. I prepared DV cases for trial, listened to 911 calls, attended victim intake interviews, and followed the cases I prepared to trial assisting the attorneys and advocates. I figured once I got to DC I would have an internship as a coffee runner and paper pusher; luckily I was wrong! Even though I was only there one day, I already attened 2 important conference meetings with our offices in NYC. Once President Obama announced he was suspending transporting GTMO detainees to Yemen, I was able to see how our office handled this news and responded to it. I was amazed how much work and colaboration went into writing a short paragraph press release in respone to current events. The main responsibility I have thus far is to read all of the articles that Human Rights First is mentioned in, in numerous journals and newspapers, and classify them for the upcoming quarterly board meeting. This is extremely informative; not does this give me the opportunity to catch myself up on what has been happening the past few months but it also gives me the chance to research sources for my paper and sharpen my thesis. I am extremely excited to head into work tomorrow to continue my research.
-Joanna

No comments:

Post a Comment