Sunday, January 31, 2010

Friendship 7... Even Smaller than my Closet at the W.I.S.H. House!


The other day I had the chance to look around the National Air and Space Museum. Right when you walk into the museum you can see
Friendship 7. It is the spacecraft in which Senator Glenn, then Colonel Glenn, orbited around the earth in as a part of Project Mercury Atlas-6 mission. This was the successful first attempt by NASA to place an astronaut into orbit. Senator John Glenn, Jr. was the first American to orbit the earth- pretty impressive!

It was amazing to see such an important part of aeronautical and American history. The size of the spacecraft amazed me. I feel claustrophobic in the small closet my roommate Allison and I share when I'm picking out my outfit each morning. I can only imagine how cramped Senator Glenn was in Friendship 7 while he was orbiting the earth. It's very small!

Seeing the spacecraft in person reminded me of a story I had learned in Ohio history class in grade school. While Senator Glenn was orbiting, the earth the people of Perth, Australia turned on all of their lights so that Senator Glenn could see them from space. This story really illustrates how the Senator's historic mission inspired not only Americans, but those all around the world as well.
~Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment