Thursday, January 21, 2010

Press Conferences

The past two days have been extremely exciting at work! Yesterday morning we had a briefing with the New York Times where I head from an interrogator, attorney, and a vice admiral. They talked about what they want to see happen at GTMO including swift action to close the facility and trial in federal courts. It was really interesting to hear from Matthew Alexander (a pseudonym he goes by because he is still actively involved in contracts and interrogations in Iraq) and his stories of interrogations and what he learned from them. Many points that he discussed with be very useful sources for my paper. Today was even better, we held a press conference with four retired military leaders who stood behind President Obama a year ago today as he signed the executive orders to close GTMO. Obviously it is not closed but these generals have been writing letters to the President and giving lectures on the benefits to closing it and the negatives of torture. After the conference I was able to personally interview two of the generals for my paper while introducing myself to all four of them. It is really great to be able to meet the people who I have read about so much lately in the news and editorials. My favorite part was when I introduced myself to Major General Nash and told him I was from Ohio State, his response was, "Oh yea? You guys have quite a football program out there!" haha, an Chris said at orientation that nobody would be discussing OSU sports on the Hill!
Joanna
p.s. ill post the picture soon but the website keeps giving me weird java script instead of the actual picture =(

1 comment:

  1. Thanks,Joanna. This is very exciting.

    Yes,in general D.C. people know of the OSU football tradition. They might not know about all that has been done in recent years to cultivate excellence (even eminence) in many other quarters of the campus.

    ReplyDelete