Tuesday, January 19, 2010

National Momuments....farther apart than they look!!




So on the gorgeous weekend I decided to take Mike's "rate buster" name and cross off as many items on the list as I could. I thought I would start at one monument and walk all the way down to the mall...not as close as it appears but I got some great exercise from it. The monuments that I liked the most were the war monuments. The line that I liked the most came from the Korean War monument dedicating that place to "soldiers who died for a country they never knew and a people they never met." The Vietnam Monument was very sad as well. Many people have left cards and signs by the names of the fathers/husbands/sons for their birthdays or holidays saying that they are not forgotten. The World War II monument, which is relatively new, has each state represented. What I liked the most about this one was the different sections that are dedicated to fighting by land, air, and sea. There are many infamous presidential quotes around the whole monument, one of which was the quote announcing the attack on pearl harbor. Finally, seeing the Lincoln and Washington Memorials were also very cool. Seeing them up close is a lot different than seeing them on tv...they are HUGE! In the American History Museum I was actually able to see the original casts of Lincoln's face and hands and compare my hand size to his. Standing next to Lincoln's statue and reading his Gettysburg Address carved on the wall was really an amazing sight.
Joanna

No comments:

Post a Comment