Monday, July 22, 2013

Arlington National Cemetery

This past Saturday (July 20th)--on one of the hottest days of the year-- I decided to visit Arlington National Cemetery. Even though I visited towards late afternoon, it was super hot and humid. I have been to Arlington two other times (once on a family vacation in July and once for my senior class trip in high school), but it was still very moving to be there. I was holding back some tears because I was thinking of all the Americans that sacrificed their lives for this country and for our freedom. I was supposed to go to Arlington National Cemetery with my aunt and cousin, but they could not attend at the last minute, so I flew solo.


Signs reminding everyone to be respectful and quiet were placed throughout Arlington. At one point, as I was walking up a hill towards the Eternal Flame (which seemed itself like eternity in the oppressive heat), the only sounds were of buzzing cicadas. People were around me, but it was so quiet that the droning of cicadas set the mood. It was the height of summer. The heat was beating down on me, but at that moment, I looked past the graves and in my mind's eye, I could see them. Men yelling and dodging explosives in WWII on the beaches in Normandy. Women fighting for our freedoms as well. Countless lives sacrificed for everything this country represents. Inspiring.

As I approached the Eternal Flame, I just thought of President John F. Kennedy and how much life he had yet to live but did not get a chance to. It was so very sad. The 50th Anniversay of his death is this year. So much has happened in America in the last 50 years.

I headed towards the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I saw the change of the guards twice and reflected on how these men in uniform never stop guarding the tomb (though rain, sleet, snow, or extreme heat (like the day I went)), protecting the soldier. I also love the inscription on the tomb (seen below).

HERE RESTS IN HONORED GLORY AN AMERICAN SOLDIER KNOWN BUT TO GOD.

I ended up walking around Arlington for 3+ hours. Yes, even in the 90+ heat, I enjoyed every bit of the experience. I love photography and had an enjoyable time taking some pictures. There were rows and rows and rows of marble grave sites....stretching into eternity and surrounding me. It just left me speechless. Each grave had a story. And each grave had a person and a face. I tried to envision what some of the heroes looked like when I read some of their names. In my mind's eye, they were looking back at me, fully dressed in their military apparel. Very powerful and emotional.



This is by far one of my favorite shots that I took that day. I just love how the lighting cast the robin in a silhouette.
As the day wore on and the sun began to set, the buzzing sounds of cicadas drifted into the chirp of crickets in the early evening and it cooled off a little, but not much. It was peaceful.

My visit to Arlington was very memorable. Thank you, soldiers, for your service.

-Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment