Sunday, July 21, 2013

Part Four Of All Of The Parts

...The lady behind me decided to loudly ask her neighbor about the condition of his smartphone. Apparently his phone is broken and apparently she works for the Smithsonian researching phone repair. At what point do you turn down that path? Anyway, I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but some people are so loud even eardrum-punishingly loud music can't drown their far-too-interested droning. 

Fourth of July weekend is the latest stop on my tour to epic remembrance, especially considered due to its unique length and unique Americanism. I spent most of the weekend with my girlfriend. On Thursday we walked the mall and ducked into the Museum of Natural History to escape the heat, and then left soon after to escape the equally extreme AC. The World War II Memorial sufficed for a resting point, and the cool water was quite welcome. I was thirsty enough to drink the water but sweaty enough to bathe in it, which clearly indicated that both choices would be terrible. We walked some more and stopped at a restaurant on F St, where I proceeded to eat so much America-in-the-form-of-hotdogs that I was sick for the next four hours. That night we walked back to the lawn to watch the fireworks. They were bright and American.

On Friday we went to Georgetown. It was the first time I had visited the famed neighborhood, and I was overcome with love. It was just so GREAT! Thankfully, we hitched a ride on the Circulator on the way back, because if we hadn't, I never would have experienced the 3 mile, hour long ride with a surely crazy lady who reserved a seat for her bag and fought off anyone who protested. That night I attended my first Nationals game. They played the Padres so no one cared, but the Nationals scored the most goal/touchdowns and won the match, so all was well.

Saturday I think we did almost nothing, but I don't remember for sure.

Sunday we walked to H St for the CVS minute clinic. It was a lot of fun. Then we went to the pool and went out to dinner. I said goodbye later that night and so ended an interesting weekend of memories and America. It was a nice respite but too long a break from reality that was rudely interrupted on Monday morning. The continued to roll along.



Eric D'Angelo

No comments:

Post a Comment