Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Potomac, please

Although I do like seeing all of the historical sites in DC, nothing about the city struck me quite like spending time near or on the Potomac river.

Through the wonders of Groupon, I went on a DC harbor cruise one evening and first experienced the refreshing nature of the river. The tour went all the way down to Nationals Park and back.

The next weekend, I rented a bike through Capital BikeShare program and rode up past Georgetown and back. Along this path was the Potomac on one side and there was a long stretch where we could see the memorials on our journey, as well. Watching the people out on the river in their boats and kayaks stirred up some envy in me, so the following weekend a few of us from the program went kayaking on the Potomac. This was my first time kayaking and it was no doubt one of the best things I did during my time here. It was more relaxing than anything and was a chance to get away from all of the schoolwork and internship stress for the time being.

This image was taken during the bike ride along the Potomac.


I am certainly going to miss the calmness of this river and hope I can find something similar to enjoy back in the midwest. Future WAIP students...spend some time on the water!


Aubrey Houston

No comments:

Post a Comment