Monday, July 22, 2013

Spending Lunch a Little Differently

Today during lunch, I ventured to the St. Matthew's Cathedral across the street from my office on Rhode Island Avenue.  Since arriving, I have passed this building every day on my way to work but I have not known the history until recently.  When speaking with my pastor from home, he told me I should stop in and see the beauty of the cathedral, both for its religious and political aspect.

John F. Kennedy's funeral services were held in this building after he was assassinated during his presidency.  Though I am not catholic, to see this building was an amazing experience to understand the religious and political aspect of such a large church that has held a piece of history.  Today I took my lunch and ate near the church (amid the construction across the street and the hustle and bustle of the business gurus on their phones) as the temperatures have cooled off.  After eating, I stepped inside and saw a beautifully built church and felt the history of the past.

It's crazy to think that there are so many pieces of history around us, but sometimes we fail to take in the beauty.  With the last week of interning coming to an end in DC, I am glad I explored the St. Matthew's Cathedral.


Aaron Clapper

No comments:

Post a Comment