Wednesday, July 24, 2013

How I made the best of my internship

My internship this summer was in the Talent Acquisition department at the Red Cross national headquarters where I worked a lot with the large internship program itself. Given  my interest for nonprofits, human relations, and leadership development, I saw an opportunity to combine the three at my internship.

Since I have no desire to go into the public sector, I knew I needed to make WAIP have the hightest return on investment for me personally. I saw an opportunity to create a detailed proposal for implementing a professional development program for interns at the Red Cross. This includes presenting workshops on topics such as communication skills, interviewing skills, networking skills, etc, as well as a mentoring component. Not only would it make an internship at the organization more appealing, but it could help mold potential future leaders of the Red Cross, as well.

Through extensive research, benchmarking, and conversations with internal staff at the Red Cross, I put together a detailed plan of what this program might look like and how it would be implemented. I even took the initiative to speak with Dr. Kolson about using this proposal as the subject of my capstone paper for the semester. I am so thankful that Dr. K understood the reality of exploring topics that are relevant to a student's internship and that the student has a passion for. In addition, the Red Cross appreciated my initiative and engagement in the internship and is considering implementing the program in years to come.

Aubrey Houston

No comments:

Post a Comment