Friday, July 19, 2013

Part One Of All Of The Parts

Leaving Washington this weekend was a conscious choice on my part. Escaping the suffocating heat--at least for the duration of this MegaBus ride--was a pleasant side effect. But while the heat tormented my aggressive sweat glands and mocked my disgusting dress shirts, it also caused such unhealthy dehydration that I slipped into a state of grave, grave nostalgia, and began to consider my summer in Washington...

Looking back, I approached this summer with a fair amount of optimism. Considering my assumption that I would be working in the district in a few years, I was excited to live amidst the center of such essential government indecision. I can't remember everything that happened in the early days; I was so busy forging my reputation as a future political superstar that sometimes I forgot to stop and reminisce on my experiences. I know for certain that I encountered a great deal of grand European culture in the form of an open EU embassy Saturday. Estonia and Bulgaria were fascinating, Italy displayed its famous auto industry and tic-tacs, but we missed out on all of the Belgian beer.

There were some classes and policy salons, some city exploration and meals of Washington's unique cuisine. At the end of those first few weeks, I could go home to my cozy apartment and spend some quality time with a bed spring in my spine. Great things were to come.


Eric D'Angelo

No comments:

Post a Comment