Monday, July 22, 2013

USA vs. German:
    A few weeks ago The United States soccer team faced the German team at the Stadium Armory field. This game was extremely special, because it also marked the 100th year anniversary of U.S. soccer. As I arrived at the Armory metro stop I exited the subway and was immediately swept into huge crowds of people. As I slowly made my way towards the stadium, I passed street vendors, huge tents from sponsors, and tailgates. Once inside the stadium I made my way up to my seats and instantly noticed the multiple German flags hanging around the stands. It seemed as if there was almost more German fans than American fans.
    My attention refocused to the field as staff members began to lay a large tarp, which looked like a soccer ball, across the center circle of the field. Then the flags of the American and German nations were displayed below the soccer ball, but before the teams emerged onto the field, the United States Olympic team entered the field. Finally the two teams emerged for the playing of the anthems, and the stadium seemed to become electric in anticipation.
    The game quickly went in the Americans favor, which seemed to create an air of tension, as the overwhelming number of German fans screamed in disbelief. The American team played a good game through the first half and had a solid lead on the Germans, but the tides quickly shifted again in the second half and the Germans started on a come back. With just a few minutes left in play, the Germans scored another goal and closed the gap down to one goal between them and the U.S. team. Luckily, the Americans were able to hold out till the end and win the game four to three. As the final whistle blew the stands went crazy, partially from the angry Germans, but mostly proud Americans. The afternoon will definitely go down as one of the craziest and most intense games I've ever experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment